The region around Doolin offers a wide variety of activities for all tastes. For the walking enthusiasts, the Burren is a unique limestone region of approximately 300 square kilometres. It is a paradise for botanical and geological excursions as well as archaeologists or cavers. The Burren is famous for the wildflowers, the ring forts and places of archaeological interest. You can find abandoned villages and walk on green roads for miles without ever seeing a car.
You can take a ferry and visit the Aran Islands . After only 30 minutes by boat you enter the world of the mystical old Ireland. The Ferry leaves several times daily from Doolin Pier. You can walk to the Cliffs of Moher (7km) or go on a cruise, the boats leave from Doolin Pier.
Doolin Cave (Poll an Ionain) is open to the public and you can see there one of the longest free hanging stalactite in the world at 7 metres. Ailwee Cave is 20 minutes drive from Doolin, it also hosts Burren Birds of Pray and Education Centre, its Ireland’s Premier Show Cave.
Upcoming Festivals to Doolin
Venue: Hotel Doolin (50yds from campsite)
Doolin Writers Weekend 4th – 6th March 2016
Doolin Folk Festival 10th – 12th June 2016
Craft Beer Festival 26th – 28th August 2016
Doolin is know as the traditional capital of Ireland. One can be guaranteed a great night of ceol agus craic in all of our pubs every night throughout the Summer and at weekends during the Winter.
We have a memorial festival every year the last weekend of February to honour our past and present musicians, “The Russell Memorial Weekend” it came about with the death of Micho Russell in 1994, he and his two Brothers Packie and Gussie made Doolin famous with their traditional music.
- Walking – Burren walking information Centre .www.clarerocks.com
- Cycling – Burren Bikes, Ballyvaughan.www.burrenbikes.com
- Early Bird Cycling Tour – www.Burrenwine.ie
- Caving – www.doolinactivitylodge.ie
- Surfing Lahinch Surf School – www.lahinchsurfschool.com
- Aloha Surf School Fanore – www.surfschool.tv
- Lahinch Kite Surfing – www.lahinchkitesurfing.com
- Fishing/Angling – O’Callaghan Angling & Cruising, Liscannor tel 065 6821374
- West Coast Angling – Lahinch tel 086 8838166
- Doolin Pitch & Putt – www.doolinpitchandputt.com
- Lahinch Golf Club – www.lahinchgolf.com
- Mountain View Equestrian Trails – Lisdoonvarna . Tel 087-6894520
- Willie Daly Riding Centre Doolin Tel 065 7071385